Qorma-e-Zardak (Sweet Carrots with tur lentils)2013-10-21
- Servings : 4
- Prep Time : 5m
- Cook Time : 60m
- Ready In : 1:5 h
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 2 tbsp oil
- 2-3 garlic cloves, peeled and chopped
- 1cm fresh ginger, peeled and chopped
- 1 tsp turmeric
- ½tsp ground cumin
- ½tsp ground coriander
- 600g carrots, peeled and chunked
- 300g daul nakhud (tur lentils)
- 1 tbsp tomato puree
- 3 large tomatoes, chopped
- Salt, to taste
- 2 tsp vinegar (or sour grape juice)
- 500ml water
Just fry the onions in a little oil in the bottom of a big saucepan, and add in the garlic, chilli and ginger.
When the onions have started to soften, add in the spices, carrots and split peas, followed a couple of minutes later by the paste and fresh tomato chunks.
Sprinkle in some salt, add either the vinegar or sour grape juice, and then enough water to cover all the ingredients.
Bring to the boil and then set to simmer for 45 minutes to 1 hour, or until the carrots and peas are cooked through.
Serve with flatbreads or with palau.