Afghan Lamb Kebab (Sikh Kebab or Tikka Kebab)2013-05-08
- Servings : 4
- Prep Time : 24:0 h
- Cook Time : 20m
- Ready In : 24:20 h
Of all kebabs these are the most favored by Afghans and are the best known.
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled and crushed
- 1/2 cup live, natural yogurt (optional)
- Salt and black or red pepper
- 1 teaspoon ground cilantro seed (optional)
- 2 pounds boneless lamb, cut into 3/4 inch cubes
- 8 ounces lamb fat (optional) or 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 lawausha or chapati (or nan)
Mix the lemon juice, crushed garlic, yogurt (if used), salt, pepper and cilantro in a bowl. Add the lamb and lamb fat (if used) or oil. Mix well and marinate, covered, in the refrigerator for several hours or overnight.
Preheat the grill. Thread the meat on to the skewers. (The cubes of meat should be alternated with the fat, if used.) Grill, turning frequently, for about 15 to 20 minutes until brown and cooked.
Place the lawausha or chapati on a large dish, remove the kebabs from the skewers and place them on the bread.
Sprinkle with a little salt and pepper, garnish with the tomato, onion and lemon, and fold the chapati or lawausha over to keep the kebabs warm. The extra lawausha or chapati is cut into pieces and served separately. A mixed salad is a good accompaniment.
Average Member Rating
(2.9 / 5)
28 people rated this recipe